ATM and Debit Card Safety
- Always treat your card like cash. Keep it in a safe place.
- Always keep your personal identification number (PIN) a secret.
- Do not disclose card information over the phone to anyone. No one needs to know your PIN, not even your financial institution.
- Don't write your ATM personal identification number on your card or keep the number in your wallet.
- Don't withdraw large amounts of cash.
- Secure your money at the ATM. Don't walk away with money in hand.
- Always take your receipt with you.
- Never disclose information about your card in response to an unsolicited e-mail or request.
- Make certain your Internet shopping sites are secure.
- Protect your card's magnetic stripe. Do not expose your card's magnetic stripe to magnetic objects.
- Report a lost or stolen card at once.
- Carefully review your account statements.
- Monitor your transactions for unauthorized use. Using FAB&T's Online Banking makes it easy to review your transactions at any time online.
- Utilize an ATM located inside an open business whenever possible.
- Avoid using street ATMs during night time hours.
- Always be aware of suspicious persons or vehicles in the area of the ATM. Trust your gut feeling. If things don't feel right, avoid that ATM.
- Observe the ATM surroundings before approaching a walk-up ATM. If anyone or anything appears to be suspicious, cancel your transaction and leave the area at once.
- If an ATM is obstructed from view or poorly lit, go to another ATM. It is a good idea to take along a companion when using an ATM, especially at night.
- Minimize time spent at the ATM by having your card out and ready to use. Do not let anyone see how much money you withdrew, and never count your money at the ATM.
- Never allow a stranger to assist you in conducting an ATM transaction, even if you have trouble or if your card is stuck.
- Stand between the ATM and anyone waiting to use the terminal so that others cannot see your PIN or transaction amount.
- Look for possible fraudulent devices attached to the ATM. If the ATM looks different or appears to have any alterations or attachments to the card slot or PIN pad, do not use it.
Drive-Up ATM Safety
- Keep the doors locked, windows up and engine running at all times when waiting in line.
- Have ATM card out of your wallet or purse before approaching the ATM.
- Leave enough room between cars to allow for a quick exit should it become necessary.
- Before lowering the window to use a drive-up ATM, observe the entire surrounding area. If anyone or anything appears to be suspicious, cancel your transaction and drive away at once.
- If anyone follows you after you have completed your ATM transaction, go immediately to a crowded, well-lit area and call the police.
- Never allow the cashier or anyone else to enter your PIN for you, even if they are assisting you with the transaction. Never leave your card out unattended and always make sure your card is returned after every purchase.
- Report lost or stolen cards to FAB&T immediately.
- Block the view of others when using a terminal.
- Be sure the transaction is complete and you have received a receipt before leaving.
- If you received cash back, put it away before leaving the terminal.
- When using an outdoor terminal such as at a gas station, observe your surroundings before making a transaction. If anything looks suspicious, leave the area at once.
- It is a good idea to take someone with you when using an outdoor terminal at night.
- If anyone follows you after you have completed your transaction, go immediately to a crowded, well-lit area and call the police.